Thursday, June 2, 2011

My List of 10 Novels A Girl Should Read

Who doesn’t love the smell of new books and old? The first thing I do when I get a book is open it and take in a whiff of that smell. Intoxicating. It s like your connection to the book is established when you do that.

When I go to the book stores and find children in front of their section trying to find a good book, I just yearn to give them a helping hand. Sometimes I see parents ponder in the long row of books as to what their children might or might not like.

You can identify the beginners from the seasoned readers among the children. The old timers know what book they want or which author’s work they wish to read. They don’t choose a book based on how colorful the outer cover looks. Their uncertainty ranges within two or three books rather than 10 or 20 of them.

Sometime I just want to take a book and say, "Hi, why don’t you try this book?” But I normally hold back that feeling of mine. To discover a book on your own is a beautiful feeling. It’s almost like finding a treasure, is it not?

So I give vent to this urge through this online portal. That girls and boys think and feel differently, is a known fact. Having only sisters I don’t know what kind of books boys like .So, I normally suggest books for girls alone. Once overhearing a tête-à-tête between a father and daughter over a book, I realized that children now grew up faster than we did and many of them regard classics as dull and outdated. Even so I present
My list of

10 Novels for a Girl to Read Before she is 15  (Even after that actually)

(If a part of series, I intend to give only the first book, because I am assuming that if the child likes the book she will dig out the others on her own)

    
1          The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

2          The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

3          Heidi by Johanna Spyri.

4          The Railway Children. by Edith Nesbit.

5          The Family at Red roofs by Enid Blyton.

6          What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge.

7          Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

8          Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott.

9         A Girl of LimberLost by Gene Stratton - Porter.

10       A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.     


Hope someone benefits from this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)