Saturday, March 24, 2012

Dear Diary...

Yes I am back :). Was the de-addiction program any use? Well, I found out that I was not as addicted to blogging as I was to reading other blogs. I do love reading other blogs. You get to know different people different perspectives, different lifestyles. I have not got such a diversity of ideas since I left college.

Last week was good in this front. I discovered four new blogs to follow. A dash of pepper, Show me the curry (for recipes), and two extremely cute blogs by Jennifer's children Amazing and Cosmo. Jennifer has encouraged her children to blog and I think that's a great idea. I used to write diary when I was a kid (There was no blogging then)and I am a great advocate for writing down your thoughts.

I used to have the things like "dear diary today morning I got up at .......... and now I am going to sleep." Only now I realize that that exercise had actually improved my memory power.Why!, I even read somewhere lately that, going through your activities chronologically everyday is one of the exercises for improving your memory.

And it is a great feeling to read what you have written years later. A couple of years ago, I read something I had written when I was 10 and frankly speaking I was amazed at the maturity of the writing. Sometimes I feel when we grow up we just tend to forget how mature children really are. They don't complicate things. Of course I am not mocking experience one gains with age, but I think one should pay extra attention to the words of children also as their views are most uncorrupted and their instincts the strongest.

There is another great advantage for writing one's personal diary. If you are truthful, and you write about anything and everything which you feel like writing including things that worry you, you can actually find clarity in your thought process by this simple exercise of writing them down. The problem becomes clearer and one can actually even find apt ways to deal with the problem when he/she comes back to it at a later stage. However, for obvious reasons I would not recommend this for a public blog.

There is a personal reason for me to write my diary or scribble my thoughts in this blog. My parents are not the great talking kind or sharing their feelings kind or the reminiscing kind. When I was a child I always wanted to know how my parent's childhood was. But they did not remember much. I would have loved to know how they were at my age. Were they also like me? I would have loved to know them as individuals and not as my father or mother alone. I think writing your thoughts for your children can be a great bequest. At least I would have loved it.

Signing off for now. Are you going to start writing?







8 comments:

  1. Interesting, blog de addiction! I wonder if I too need it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) No no don't take a break. I wait for your daily posts :)

      Delete
  2. welcome back.. You used to write your diary in english or malayalam? You should try posting in malayalam too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aravind. I always write in English. I am a tamilian na, brought up in kerala so I was not that comfortable writing or reading in malayalam or tamil for that matter. So it was always english:)

      Delete
  3. ഇതു ശ്രമിക്കാം. ഒരു പോസ്റ്റ് എഴുതി നോക്ക്.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paakalam. if so i should be writing in tamil you know. I sometimes get confused as to which language I think in. tamil, english , malayalam or nowadays even in Hindi :S

      Delete
  4. அப்போ தமிழில் எழுதுங்க. யாறு வேணாம்னு சொன்னா..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will definitely try now...someday... Paakalam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)