Saturday, June 23, 2012

Birds of Northern India by Richard Grimmett and Tim Inskipp

Yesterday I saw the Indian Grey Hornbill. I was extremely excited to see one as I am told they are difficult to spot.And how did I recognize the bird? . I bought my first field guide on Birds of Northern India by Richard Grimmett and Tim Inskipp. For the last few months I had been going through all the books I could get on birds and this was the first time I saw something which pleased me. All the birds that I had identified till now were there in the book and the pictures were exquisite. The minute difference between the different types of birds of the same family were shown very well. In fact I saw how a cattle erget dresses himself up when he goes courting. At first I had thought it was a different bird altogether. Hoping to have a very good time with my field book in the future. Next in the agenda.... Definitely a trip to Sultanpur bird Sanctuary.

10 comments:

  1. I love seeing the photo's of your bird discoveries. My husband and I bought an Audobon bird book shortly after we married. Then we moved on to a butterfly book, a tree book and a couple of flower books. We love studying nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we hope to follow your footsteps Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you buy Salim Ali's book? That is supposed to be the Bible of Indian Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup it is but it is alwasy out of stock and i didnto want to buy it without seeing it. I saw a Salim Ali book which had a lot of description but somehow it was not what i was looking for i guess. Anyhow buying this was an inspiration. I bought it without thinking. I was excited about the Indian hornbill and it felt like the book i wanted. And it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great book.. We had bought it but on a trek we went it rained unexpectedly and the book was totally damaged. Did not buy again afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww that's so sad. Well now that I have a personal recommendation i guess i will buy that next :).This book is only for North India anyhow. Not having a car really sucks Aravind but who wants to buy a car when a bike is enough 99% of the time

    ReplyDelete
  7. But if someone is interested in visiting new places it is well worth buying it for the remaining 1% and once you buy it the 1% is going to go up a lot as it opens up a lot of possibilities you ruled out just because it was impractical in a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well what you say is true. Maybe we will buy one soon. I will tell you one of the main reasons why we are not buying the car. It is so silly. Our neighbor is a bit ...you know....WE share parking space. If we buy there are huge chances of unnecessary problems even though we have our space. Really really not interested in everyday tension because of parking. Maybe once we move to another house...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What i would like to know is whether the Birds of Northern India books by Grimmet and Inskipp irregardless of whether they are the Princeton field guide or the Om Field guide , cover Gujarat.
    If so which one has the best illustrations.
    Thanks...........A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the extremely late reply. I think it does cover birds of gujarat too. this was the book I felt had very good illustrations though Salim Ali's book is the one which birdwatchers normally go for.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)