Saturday, July 7, 2012

5 Random Thoughts

- A very close friend  asked me why I was not blogging as consistently as I used to.Actually I was feeling a bit disturbed due to somethings going on in my professional life. Was really feeling very disturbed and lost. Then,I had a talk with my sis in law. Got some important advice and guidance. Elders very very important. Keep them close.

- MIL not feeling well. It's these times which I hate being here in Gurgaon. If we were somewhere nearer we could have easily gone there for weekends. It may not have been possible to stay  for weeks but when they need us we should be there. I was very happy when I was able to be there for my mom when she needed me for the operation. I would like to be there a bit more often than I can now. I don't really believe in Joint family systems but it would be nice to be somewhere where we can reach home within a night journey in train. People ask us why we are not moving abroad. Moving abroad was never an option for me. Will tell you why in the next point.

- Father had a very senior colleague, their friendship was strong even after uncle's retirement. He had two children. Both were well settled - one in Australia and one in US. He grew old, He died. His son reached somehow to see him but his daughter couldn't. Some visa problem. That incident affected me very deeply. I subconsciously always compare it to another incident. My grandma was very sick and we all got ready to go to our native place. It was a 5 hr bus ride. But it was the rainy season and it was pouring cats and dogs. The bus station was flooded . All the buses were cancelled. My father left us in the care of a friend of his and he left. He traveled in trucks, lorries and what not and somehow after 10- 12 hrs, he reached his mother's side. He talked to her . He was there by her side when she died peacefully. I want us to be there for our parents when they need us. Ofcourse we can be there only if it's written in our fates. But the lesser the hurdles the better.  Being this far sucks.

Ofcourse we don't know what the future holds for us.I keep saying I am never going abroad. who knows, I might end up doing just that. (I hope I did not offend anyone with this para. I have such quirks. Another one is that I never plan to go to GOA voluntarily. Will tell you why some time)

- What a wonderful daughter - are you thinking? Please don't. I obviously present only those things which show me in a good light and omit those which don't. Anyhow marrying outside my community against the wishes of my family has put me out of the "good" daughter category for ever ;)thank God for me, I was never really interested in belonging to any category else I might have been quite devastated.

Remember that scene in the movie 'Guess Who' , where the heroine's sister tells her that "no matter what she does, even if she burns the home down , she will never be the daughter who bought the white guy home...THANKYOU" Classic Scene. Could identify with the heroine so much. Have you seen the movie? If you have not please please do. It's real fun. 'Guess who's coming for dinner' is the older one (White Girl and Black Guy)  'Guess who' is a kind of adaptation (White Guy and Black Girl). The first one is a bit serious or so I felt compared to the second. The second is great fun (Obivously , Ashton Kutcher is there in it). Wonderful movies.

_ Very family centric blog post this is turning to be.I wrote a whole paragraph on an opposite idea but deleted it. That thought deserves a post in itself.




 

7 comments:

  1. I feel we have so much in common. Thinking you, praying you have some inner peace. You have such a lovely spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer. I feel the same about you :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, thanks for sharing.
    Wish you a wonderful summer, take care.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)..
    we could be on the next room and still not be there when they need us...
    its not abt being there always...
    call em.. talk to em.. make em feel their life was wrth it..cause the way its here in our society is ur life is measured by how good a kid u brought up :)
    let them die in peace saying "a pretty damn good one :)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm....I wonder what is the definition of a "good kid"

      Delete
  4. well u knw the usual answers fr that na... grades,job, no affair, not looking old people in the eye..having felt no one till the get married and after that ....AAAgh...i cant say that one
    well in my definition a kid who could make the parent smile when they think their life is almost over will do :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)