Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Ruskin Bond Children's Omnibus - Book Review

The Ruskin Bond Children's Omnibus
The Ruskin Bond Children's Omnibus by Ruskin Bond
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the first ever Ruskin Bond book I have read. And I wonder why I have not read any of his books till now. The omnibus had some of his short novels or novellas. I especially liked the Blue Umbrella- the story of the village girl who trades her lucky charm for a pretty blue umbrella from a tourist couple- the umbrella which makes her the envy of the whole village. Ruskin Bond writes simple stories, beautiful from an era I can only imagine. Maybe My father’s time- 1950's or 60's? Reminded me of my childhood. Remembered the time I stole guavas from Pathu uncle’s tree and him coming home to give me a whole bag of guavas after catching me, The time I climbed the tree near our home and made it my temporary home, the time the lady in the small shop in my native place kept 5 cylindrical fryams placed in all my fingers like extra-large ,salty and oily huge rings but strangely extremely tasty at that time.

The stories were very sweet and very simple. The language was simpler still. Do you know one important thing I realized when I was reading the story “the Blue Umbrella”? I was waiting for something to go wrong. I was so used to things always going wrong, that every time I turned a page, I expected something bad to happen. I realized how defensive we have become. It was a great lesson for me. It is a beautiful book. If you want to relax , if you want to go back to your childhood, if you want to go back to the simpler times, yes , this is the book for you. Really really recommend it to everyone. A perfect gift for a niece or nephew or your child.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)