Thursday, December 20, 2012

On the Search for the name

Yesterday hubby and me were going through baby names. Long time for that still...simply. We needed speicifically religion nuetral names especially which neither sound muslim nor hindu yet sound both hindu and muslim - and it should have good meaning. For girl babies there are lots of options but for boy babies, there sees to be only "aman" which meant peace. We have overused aman so much in the past that it has become boring , I wish we could find some other name. It was so hilarious trying to find names. For every name hubby was imagining how it could be converted by peers in school and whether he/she would have a tough time in school. I laughed and laughed and laughed until I cried.

We tried names with origins from Arabic,Urdu, Indian, and because hubby was such a fan of Japanese anime , we tried Japanese too. I liked only one name there but that's also a girl name. "Ami" means friend. Nice name no, but too short. I always loved Aaron. But I guess it sounds too Jewish or Christian. One needs to start a website for nuetral names. Actual nuetral names. Someone once told be Kumar had no religious anotation.Please....it is so much a Hindu name. I almost think we should give the child a temporary identification number and then let him/her choose the name he/she wants. That should solve the problem the child might have with the name. I remember how much I used to hate my name. Though I do love it now....hmmmm So any suggestions???








14 comments:

  1. Congrats, I'm so happy for you!
    Choosing a name is not easy and finding a neutral name must be even more difficult. Your post made me think how difficult it was to choose names for our babies. We had a list of names (all Christian) and when our babies were born, we tried different names to see if we felt it was the "right name".
    Good luck!
    Wish you a wonderful weekend.
    Take care.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Mette. I guess we have to start making a list now itself. It is difficult.

      Delete
    2. Wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Rahmath :)Happy to have found your blog and happier still to read this post.
    Roshan is a nuetral boy's name. Take care lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reshma.So happy that you liked my blog.
      Roshan is a very nice nuetral name but unfortunately one of our very close friend's name is Roshan.I will put it in the list. :)

      Delete
  3. That's great news Rahmath. God bless and a very happy new year. and thanks for all those warm comments on my blog. Take care. and do keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aryan, Kiran, Vivek.. I believe you would have already thought of these names..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aryan , Kiran, Vivek, ...I dont know.... If you introduce someone with these names, and asked me to guess which religion they are from, i would say hindu only. Maybe christian too but thats becasue we come from kerala. They dont sound that nuetral to me, like kumar. If you ask an Arab Christain , Allah means God and nothing else. But if you hear it anywhere else, it is something purely related to Islam. is it not?

      Delete
    2. Found a new name, Ishaan. exploring the meanings.

      Delete
  5. May be they are predominantly used by Hindus.. But they are all generic names is what I felt.. Ishaan is a good name.. Doesn't give away religion from the sound of it.. If anythng it sounds equally Hindu and Islam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, thats the idea,Aman, Roshan, Sameer....

      Delete
  6. Haris - Gaurdian, protector, Hisham = Generosity, Raheesh = Leader, Raja = Hope,

    Fathima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fathima for the suggestions. You know I thought Raja meant King.

      btw! my sister's name is Fathima too :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)