Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bird's Nest?


What would you do if you have nothing to write about? Go for a walk. Last week we resumed our after lunch walks. Normally I club this walk with bird watching. However I must say that I have been seeing lesser and lesser of the birds. Maybe because two three companies have started which means more people = less birds. So I was pleasantly surprised when I got to see this bird's nest.

I did not know that bird’s apparently abandoned their nest if someone touched them. In my excitement I did touch it because I thought it was abandoned. When my friend cautioned me, I got scared. I researched in the internet for quite a long time and got confusing conclusions. So to be on the safer side I guess, it is better to let a nest be. However, this Monday, I saw it again  and it felt as if some more work had been done on the nest. V said it may be an abandoned nest. Don’t  know. I took a photo and left.


Anyhow, Now I intend to  ignore it completely (apart from sneaking a look occasionally during my walks) because apparently over interest from human's part will interest other predator birds too. But I must say , it was not  very well hidden or anything. I will wait for a month or two. and if it is meant to be, I will then add it to my treasures. In USA they have laws for taking nests but I don't think it is there in India. Do you know anything about it?

Which bird? No Idea. Definitely a very small one because the width of the nest itself was maybe around 5 -7cms. Will be very glad if someone could help me out in that area. The descriptions of the nest matches with this bird, though again I must add,  I have never seen a bird like this during my walks!

4 comments:

  1. I do not think it is a bird's nest. looks more like an ant or some insect colony..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was an ant or insect colony, i would have seen atleast one no?. And the sophistication in which the nest was hung between two twigs kind off felt like a bird. The material used, thin twigs,fluff, feathers,....I showed it to V, who is into birdwatching and she confirmed that it wasa bir's nest- probably of a very small bird. Don't know though. Will change the post name :)

      Delete
  2. I see some sort of spider web also in there.. thats why thought it may not be a birds nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh , those are the veins of the died leaves- i think. I asked V again and she said they resenble the nest of an ashy prinia. There are a lots of ashy prinias there. However I will confirm once again after sometime.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)