Sunday, April 28, 2013

In Front of the Taj Mahal



I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder and with me and hubby being in different ends of the country, everything reminds me of the times we spent together.

Perhaps it would not be an entire truth if I said we never thought of each other as more than friends during graduation at least not in the very end. Of course, our friendship was too precious to be spoilt by a passing fancy. Practicality and logic always took the first place as compared to any ideas of romance. Still, I remember an incident in the All India Tour when we went to see the Taj Mahal. Everyone was taking photographs in front of the Taj Mahal. I had left my camera behind in the bus and was too proud to ask anybody to take one of my photos. I was loitering around when he came to me after his session of photos.

“Are you sure you don’t want a photo in front of the Taj Mahal?” He asked. “Everyone is taking. I can take one of yours you know” he said.

I was still hesitant, still proud. So I said to him smiling “I will come here once again with my better half and at that time, I will take a photo with him”. I looked up at him and suddenly from depth of my heart came a voice. ‘How I wish that it would be you’. Of course, I did not say anything at that time.

Years later when I confessed to him of this conversation and the thought which came with it, he said he remembered it very well.  Because at that very moment, he had thought “I wish that your better half was me”.  Two wishes which arose like a gentle breeze, touched us briefly and finding no keeper, floated away for the time being…

I guess the souls of Mumtaz Mahal and Shahjahan still lingered in that mausoleum.

Maybe they took pity on these wishes and gave them a temporary refuge. 

Maybe they recognized the love that lay buried somewhere deep in our hearts. 

And maybe they appealed to the Almighty for us; 

for I did go back to the Taj Mahal.

I did take the photo in front of it with my better half.

And both our wishes had come true.

Touch Wood.

4 comments:

  1. Engayoooooooooooooooooooo poyittenga...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha... kalyanam panni 3 vasrsham akutha.... romance engayathulenthu pidichchttu varavendi irukkuthu :)

      Delete
  2. destiny blesseth many a soul in a special way, thou art one of them Rahmath!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful your comment is!!!How beautifully you write!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)