Thursday, November 7, 2013

Life Lessons - Truth Based on Belief

A couple of months ago one of our uncle who is settled in UAE came to visit us. He is a jolly jolly person who is real fun. He loves having debates and on course of one of the conversations, he asked me if I would answer one of his questions. I knew where this was going; he loves controversies. At first I said "oh no no uncle. no need" But he pursued and I reluctantly agreed. "Tell me'' , he said.

 "Which came first? Mecca or Islam?"

"Anyone who knows the history of Islam knows that Mecca came first." I replied.

I guess he did not expect me to answer so, for he said." But no Arabi would accept that. I have asked many, showed them their own history but they would not accept it." He ejaculated. I found that amazing because I did not think there should be any confusion, after all it's recorded history. But I did not say anything at that time.

I kept wondering about it when suddenly it occurred to me that for a Muslim Islam was there from the time Adam was created. So from a Muslim's point of view, obviously Islam came first. But will a non Muslim ever accept that? Ofcourse not. For a non Mulsim, Islam originated sometime in the 7th Centuary AD. But both are correct in their reasoning based on their logic. The Arabi did not lie  but neither did  uncle. I realized then that as far as believes of people are concerned, there's no one thing that's true. It's all true.


Write Tribe

13 comments:

  1. But you very much have the fact right there about the 7th century AD.. So shouldn't belief be refined according to facts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This's exactly what I am saying in the post. For a non muslim or an unorthodox beleiver, the fact is that Islam originated in 7th AD. But for a muslim , the fact is that islam has been from day 1. Two people believe two things to be the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what is that belief based on.. There would be some argument for it right.. That is my question.. Don't get me wrong. I m not arguing for or against. This is for my GK :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, the answer to your question is "On the basis of what has been revealed to the prophets."

      I think that's belief....
      One believes in God. On what basis???? One just believes.

      Delete
  4. Still Hazy.. Avanavante Viswasam Avanavane Rakshikkatte.. To each his own..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I used to be hazed, but now I have learnt to accept.

      Delete
  5. Very clever how you used the prompt. I love it. Everyone has their own beliefs and it is all correct. There is no one thing that is true. It is all true according to each faith's beliefs. This is brilliant. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truth depends on one's point of view. So yes it's all true. Creative way of using the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting point. Not just what your uncle mentions but more importantly how you have interpreted it. truly a great way to see things and religion. Belief has so many facets...

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the kind words Richa :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)