Saturday, January 4, 2014

Memories - The Eldest


Prompted by someone questioning my eldest sister's love for me just because she and I had a difference of opinion on my marriage. As if that can change anything!

I was talking to this person telling how eldest children love their sibling almost like parents like my hubby and my eldest sister. And this person remarked out of the blue "isn't that the sister who did not want you to marry him" I suddenly became disoriented, I was not expecting a judgmental comment and I stammered back "what about the previous 25 years of my life???? "

Don't these memories Count!!!!

----------
I may have been around 4. Though we had toys my father didnot believe in stuffed toys  and I had none. I have a friend , an only child and that day I had gone to her house and had seen rows and rows and rows of stuffed toys--- every toy you could imagine. I came back home sad. Even at hat age we were taught to be happy with what we had. We did not ask for things. Father and mother always provided whatever they could. Money was not to be wasted. There was only one person I could talk to. I sat down in the portico and waited for her.  After sometime she came. For any other onlooker she might have been a small 14 year old girl with pigtails adorned with ribbons but not so for this little kid who was waiting for her. Eldest passed and my face fell. She didn't see me????? I waited...No she will come back,such was my belief and she did. She sat down slowly. "What happened?" she asked and I began describing in detail of her friend's toys. I did not ask for a toy but it was apparent. She did not say anything then.

That birthday the eldest had convinced her father and put a good deal of her pocket money into buying the kid her very first doll. Teddy (or Theodora whenever we wanted a heroine).

That was her.
----------
Technically I am way much closer to my second sister, We are pals. We are very close but whenever we want guidance, or we got into trouble we went to the eldest.  Maybe more than our parents, we went to her.
----------
I cannot forget the number of times she has spent afternoons blowing bubbles for her kid sister to burst and have fun.
-----------
She was the one who introduced me to nature and books. Nature - she took me along with her to search for a pupa and we watched a butterfly emerge. She started a story and left it in midway and I had to read the book and she would NOT tell the story to me, no matter how much I begged. (Really she can be downright stubborn sometimes).Maybe I even started writing because she wrote.
-----------
Once I had lost the keys of my bicycle. I was dismayed and extremely scared. My dad would kill me. At that time I thought literally. I went to her and she came to search for it. Turned out that our neighbor boy had taken the keys to teach me a lesson about taking care of one's keys. Silly Raghu, He gave me a heart attack that day....he did.
-------------
Then I remember I used to play in the sand and my hair would get all muddy. Twice my mother told me not to do it but I couldn't resist. The third time I would definitely be punished. I went to her(obviously) and she painstakingly removed the grit from my scalp before my mom could examine.
-------------
There also was this time when I was 10, I was supposed to have a project to take to school to show how plants tend to grow towards light. We were given a good two weeks for it. I conveniently forgot until the last Saturday I went in a panic. I went to her and she consoled me gave me her fav. tiny pot planted peas in it for me (they grow pretty fast) and by Thursday I had a project in hand. They very just an inch tall but they showed the inclination towards sunlight and guess what, I scored good marks in it:)
------------
Did I mention the time I fell down and scratched  my leg badly. It got infected and pulp had formed. We went to the doctor. The nurse dressed it but my pain did not subside. After watching me writh in pain for a couple of days, the eldest removed the dressing, cleaned the whole pus, and dressed it so neatly that the pain vanished completely and it became ok in 2 days.
------------
There was also this incident. There were these relatives who loved my second elder sister very much . They always bought gifts for her. It was some kind of a partiality. Once a cousin came and gave my second sis gifts. I may have been around 12 maybe.... As usual I didnot get any gifts. We did not complain even if we felt bad. We were taught not to even feel bad if we were overlooked. That time my eldest took me in and gave me the most beautiful red velvet hairband you could have seen in this world. I was happy. Very. From the next time the cousin bought gifts for me too. I recently came to know why.

I had shown this cousin my red hairband excitedly and he realized and asked the eldest why she gave me that gift that day.(They are very close). My sister explained to him that how bad I would feel if they favoured my second sister so blatantly, I was a kid after all. So she had bought a gift for me to negate that feeling. (note:from her pocket money and we were not given that much I promise you)
--------------
She convinced my dad to allow me to do my MTech. and that's something very very important for me. I regard it as a dream fulfilled.
----------
I can keep writing...I can keeeeep oooooooon writing.




















 

6 comments:

  1. Very true Rahmath, there is something motherly in the elder sibling and I still dont understand how it works...Come to think of it I hated my lil bro when he first came into our lives, now I just cannot imagine how it would have been otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). I wonder if my sisters ever hated me when i first came!!!???? I should ask them :). I remember my second sister getting frustrated because i never gave her a moment of peace aping every single thing she did!!! Poor Poor thing.

      Delete
  2. A very well written post, Rahmath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very touching post! You are lucky to have an elder sibling and a sister too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. I have two elder sisters :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)