Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A for America

 



I have visited only two countries outside of mine, and one of them is America. Of course we just went to Washington DC and that must be like people visiting the city of Delhi and saying they visited India. I fully realize that the colors of America maybe as vibrant as the rainbow, maybe even more so but here are some thoughts then I have with me from that visit. I saw Virginia, New York and Atlantic City also.

1. I have seen how proud Americans are of their country, well... it is justified.
2. I loved the way they had displayed their flags almost everywhere. At that time not everyone in India could hoist the Indian flag. It would be safe to say at that time I saw Indian flags more in America than in India. I liked it.
3. Pleasant people overall. Of course I met some grouchy ones also, but then the pleasant people were more. In fact I was not used to smiling at strangers and was extremely bashful when someone said" hey good morning" that I could not even stammer back.
4. I could not but compare the way they showcased their history. Compared to India, The USA's history is lesser but they had showed it superbly. I felt  sad about the wonderful archeological treasures we had in India which was not well preserved.
5. The roads were very clean.
6. The portions of food were very very large. Two of us struggled with one portion of food in the diners.
7. The desserts were extremely rich.
8. Hygiene was pretty much same in public toilets as compared to India I live nowadays (I mean Urban India). That's what I felt. I had a tough time adjusting with using just toilet paper. I do want water.
9. Anyone who is a bit modern in dressing here in India is criticized - "hey this is not America." Well true. In America, the people I saw wore baggy shorts and baggy T shirts.
10. I fell in Love with Ceaser's Salad

7 comments:

  1. A for Aman ezhuthuveengannu paatha, Amreeka varekkum poyittenga!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I can always write about him na. So thought i will write about other things

      Delete
  2. Oh yes Rahmath, I agree with you on the pride and hygiene points. Even strangers greet you as if they have known you all their lives, it can be a bit unnerving at times :) America is in many ways similar to India, it is only in the big cities that people don't judge you as much or at least not in your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess os, but judging is there here too Reshma. A lot. Should write about it

      Delete
    2. That's my point too Rahmath, people judge others even in America just like they do in India.

      Delete
  3. Excellent write up. Loved it. Hope you repeat the same post for U. Either United States of America or Umreeekaaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.... maybe for "T" . But you did give me an idea. Glad you liked the post :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)