Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Excerpts from my draft folder # 1, # 2 and # 3


 **** 1 ****
.......
.......
.......
Anyhow that's not what I was going to talk about.When I was there I saw two girls, maybe 12 and 10. The reason I noticed them was that their dress seemed far advanced for their age. If they were 16, they would have looked classy. But at their age, red pumps,mini skirts and a  look which I suppose was meant to be attitude, I did wonder about the reducing sightings of bubble frocks, colourful flipflops , high ponytails and the heart melting shy smiles.

Not that I don't see these, just their numbers seem dwindling so fast.

Sometimes I wonder, where does the fine line between giving your children the freedom of choice and limiting certain choices of your children lie?
.....
.....
..... 

**** 2 ****
....
....
....
Even before our marriage we had both agreed that our house wouldn't have any symbols of religions. A religion free house. Spirituality was always on the agenda, but religion was a big no. I know of many couples where one adopts the faith of others for "harmony" but I always knew it would never be my cup of tea. Both I and my hubby were extremely individualistic. We had enough understanding of our respective religions and were comfortable with it. My hubby refused and I knew even if I voluntarily adopted the faith for now, it would cause extreme harm later on, because I would never be comfortable with such a great compromise. It would surface some time or the other. My parents were especially more insistent on conversion, either my hubby to Islam or me to Hinduism citing reasons such as same community will make social life easier, decisions pertaining children easier, the lives of children easier etc. But instinctively I felt that would be the greatest blunder of our married lives. Harmony doesn't come from what we are outside, it comes from us being happy with the decisions we take , however difficult they may seem to others.For others a particular solution may be the best but if you are not inherently happy with it then it will only cause chaos in future. For me at least, the perfect solution seemed finding a new path rather than choose one and make one of the spouses compromise. Willing or not, I do not believe in unnecessary compromises, especially when only one of them has to make it.
....
....
....
**** 3 ****
....
....
....
That term when we got the results of our term papers, I saw to my great delight that for the very first time in my life I had scored 40/50 in Malyalam. My delight was apparent and my face lit up. I happily told her, this is the first time I have got 40 in Malayalam. I went back to my seat content and satisfied. For the first time my report card would show 40's in every subject. But it soon turned to dismay. When I re-counted my marks, I found that I had only 38. I counted more than twice and made my friend count it for me . But the result was the same. It was 38. The teacher had counted it wrong. With a heavy heart, I waited for her to finish giving out the papers and then I went to her and told her that I had only 38. She looked at me and counted my paper again - two times. Then she started reading out my essay once again and gave a +2 marks. and made my marks 40 again. I did not know what to do. Was it right? I did not move. Ultimately she got angry and told me to go back to my seat!!!!!

I don't know if it was cheating but it was sweet of her to give me those 2 marks. That was the only time in my life I got 40 in Malayalam.
.....
.....
.....
**** ****

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your slice-of-life posts Rahmath. Some of them make me smile, some make me think... Compromise in life is like salt, a bit of it is necessary and too much of it can spoil the taste..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reshma! I love your analogies. Compromise like salt!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)