Sunday, February 26, 2017

Hum Tum

Yesterday we watched the 2004 movie Hum Tum in amazon prime. I remembered that it was a game changing movie in Bollywood with a very modern heroine. When I say modern it does not mean mini skirts and standing up for herself in a brash way. I mean modern in the sense that she slaps the hero when he is a jerk (kisses her in the first day they meet simply to make her stop talking) instead of blushing and falling in love with him that very second. She does not go about as if her honor is lost as well. She asks very strong questions on the status of unmarried women and refuses to marry the hero when he wants the same because he was feeling guilty of crossing some lines.

I mean modern in that sense.

I always thought this was a fun movie a decade ago but I had not seen it since. But yesterday I was assured that this definitely was a movie ahead of its time. Its been 13 years and it is only now that such topics have come in the normal media, in ads and documentaries. Its been 13 years and women and men have started asking the same questions asked by the heroine.

Should I feel sad that we are only in the stage where we have started asking questions or should I be glad that the change is surely coming.....

Movies are meant for entertainment, I agree....
But movies are arts, though which the artist can influence so many people...

So today... I will be glad...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
You made my day :)